Do we deal with our data smartly?
We have pool of confidential data in our surrounding. But are we aware that how much our data is secure and if we are, again the question arises, can we implement security measures?
Many Institutes/Organizations have set up a Network for inside communication or to share relevant file sharing amongst employees. However, having information on the Network can also present some security risks like information leakage, unauthorized access, and data stealing, trapping and alteration of information. These are very common trends in data security which are generally ignored by most of the users.
Here, trying to proposes an efficient security procedure and various techniques in the form of recommendations that incorporates a new model that allows flexible security in securing information over the intranet.
Currently, most of the Educational Institutes deploy their confidential data on intranet servers for the purpose of security, access and authentication processes of the legitimate users. However, this information can often be captured by the illegitimate users too, who may edit, modify, delete or otherwise corrupt this information or misuse it for own benefits. In addition, corruption can result from inaccurate communication protocols in the web browser.
The following Recommendations of securing the intranet to avoid the risks involved:
- It is very important to make sure that no media leaves the client application without being encrypted and securely transported to the Destination.
- Disable USB Ports to secure your Node to provide a Security to your data and files.
- Protect Documents by giving a Complex Passwords to your files
- Using a Hardware firewall is a system designed to prevent unauthorized access in a private network. Firewalls are frequently used to prevent unauthorized from accessing private networks connected in any Network. All messages or Data entering or leaving the network pass through the firewall. iNET, Cyberoam, Fortinet, Cisco, SonicWALL, Barracuda are some high-performance security system built to enhance the performance of networking.
- The switchport security feature offers the ability to configure a switchport so that Access can be limited to only a specific configured MAC address or list of MAC addresses.
- Installing software firewall, which will protect your computer from outside attempts to control or gain access your computer. Software firewalls are installed on your computer (like any software).
- Allow access to servers from Limited IP’s
- Use strong passwords with untraditional admin user names.
- Place all the servers within DMZ.
- Use of Linux based File Server or NAS storage for Data Storage and
- Use of RAID Servers for setting up Intranet Portals.
- Assign Disk Space / Quota to all the users on Data Storage Device.
- Access should be restricted to shared folders using login credentials.
- The server that is hosting the Web page should have the latest security service packs installed, especially where IIS is concerned.
- Network should be scanned and monitored on regular intervals for vulnerabilities.
Institutes should follow the protocols and take some necessary measures to provide secure services of Intranet.
Prof. Vishal Verma
Asst. Professor – BBA(CA) Dept.