A Career is a long term or life long occupation. In other words, its’ a livelihood with definite long-term benefits and that exceed merely trading work for money. Aspiring for career excellence over and above success in life necessitates certain interconnected personal values which guides our actions and complement each other.
Values are standards or qualities that an individual or group of people hold in high regard. They have an impact on every aspect of our life, guides us the way we live our lives and the decisions we make. Values can influence many of the judgments we make as well as have an impact on both personal and work related behaviors and interactions with other people. Living in congruence with your values is the best way to become the person you want to be and to achieve the career and life success you want and deserve.
Below mentioned are few essential interconnected standards to be preserved full of life:
- CHARACTER is the highly regarded value, an essential component of ones’ identity. Your character is ‘who and what you really are’, not just what you display for others to see, it is who are, even when no one is watching’. Abraham Lincoln said, ‘Reputation is the shadow. Character is the tree’. Good character attracts the trust and respect of other people, improves self-esteem, self-respect and confidence, creates a foundation for happy and healthy relationship, changes the perspective about failure, and improves the chances of success in work and other endeavors.
- CONCERN is a further aspect interconnected with CHARACTER. ‘Concern’ is an expression of recognising a problematic situation and showing seriousness (involve) in resolving the problem. A worried person sees a problem and a concerned person solves a problem. Expressing concern about a constraint and overcoming the same in a realistic manner is a desired quality. At the same time, Concern also means to think about problems and shortcomings of others and help them to overcome those. Zig Ziglar, famous American author said, “You will get the things you want simply by helping enough other people get the things they want”.
- CREATIVITY is one the greatest qualities any of us can be blessed with, yet many never allow their true creativity to be expressed. Creativity is what pushes passion. Failing and trying something that does not work is just a step in the process of creating success. Here is a famous comment of Thomas Edison -“the inventor didn’t fail 10,000 times. Instead successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work”. Creativity ability comes up with new ideas and different ways of doing things. Thinking out of the box in solving problems which benefits all requires a high level of creativity.
- COMPETENCE is one among the essential standards, that is, the ability to perform a task successfully or efficiently. It is an indication of a person being physically, mentally, intellectually, emotionally, socially and culturally fit in any situation. Competence is a combination of knowledge, skills and attitude. While knowledge is received through education, nevertheless skills and attitude are from ones’ own self. Socrates a philosopher, believed that the “one who clearly knows best what ought to be done will most easily gain the obedience of the others.” However, never to humiliate someone else while demonstrating competency. Competence, trust and loyalty are “inextricably intertwined”.
- COMMITMENT is action, that is, the most preferred vital quality. To commit is to pledge you to a certain purpose or line of conduct or action. It also means practicing your beliefs consistently. Peter Drucker says, “Unless commitment is made, there are only promises and hopes. But no plans.” Commitments are powerful because they influence how you think, how you sound, and how you act. Unlike a half-hearted hope or ‘best shot,’ making a commitment means that you try harder, you look for solutions when faced with obstacles, you don’t consider quitting as an option, and you don’t look back. Commitments along with discipline are important and the relationships will improve and one can be more successful in achieving goals.
- COMMUNICATION is the process by which we exchange information between individuals or groups of people. It is a process where we try as clearly and accurately as we can, to convey our thoughts, intentions and objectives. Good communication abilities are key to success in life, work and relationships. American Writer Tom Peters quotes, “Good communication is everyone’s panacea for everything”. Individuals with the inability to communicate effectively will hold them back not only in their occupations, but in social and personal relationships. Good communication skills have better prospects. Mutual trust and respect are the foundation for effective communications. With their presence, goals can be developed and all individuals become committed.
- COURAGE the most important quality is a way of life and comes from within. It is as much a habit and moral strength. In this regard, Mark Twain said, “Courage is not the absence of fear. It is acting inspite of it. A courageous person then, is someone who feels fear, recognizes fear and still goes on to do what he or she believes is right”. Courage is not something that we display only in cases of emergencies or while performing some adventurous task. Nevertheless, courage is not merely related to your putting up with a bad situation. The courage defines to speak truth at all times, to speak our mind and not stay silent. The courage is to stand up for what we believe in, viz., to follow ethics, public laws, rules and regulations and make other people follow them too.
In précise, LIVING YOUR VALUES allows one to develop their potential, and live a more purposeful, better life; a life not ordinary but extraordinary. Becoming more virtuous people STEER THE ACTIONS and this attracts great things to us; it’s a certainty.
Dr. Thirumagal. J. Pillai,
Indira Institute of Management